Saturday, June 5, 2010

John Wooden 1910-2010

Yesterday the world lost not just a legendary coach but a great and humble man. Growing up in Indiana I knew about the Wizard of Westwood at an early age. I read all the books on basketball I could find at the library and read Sports Illustrated back issues about his UCLA teams. I read "They Call Me Coach" when I was 12 and John Wooden was already retired 4 years by then but just reading his words left a special place in my heart. We may never see another person like John Wooden and we know we will never see another coach to what he did in college basketball and that is a good thing because John Wooden should live on forever and his words should guide every generation to do better and be a better person.
The extensive obituary for Coach Wooden in the LA Times with a slideshow of his life and career.

No comments: