Monday, December 6, 2010

R.I.P. "Dandy" Don Meredith


Today we learned of the death of football and television legend Don Meredith at the age of 72.
He was in his prime on ABC's Monday Night Football when I was just beginning to watch MNF on a regular basis. My dad really enjoyed him calling the games and really got a laugh when Don would start singing the Willie Nelson song "The Party's Over" when a game was locked up by one team.
I remember being amazed when my dad told me how good a QB Don Meredith was and how he had played in 2 NFL championship games against the Green Bay Packers before retiring. That just didnt seem possible that a guy that good on TV had been an NFL QB and was good at that too.

They have never been able to replace him on MNF as they bumble through one announce team after another on different networks. They caught lightning in a bottle with Don, Howard Cosell and Frank Gifford.

No comments: