Sunday, August 16, 2009

Elvis

I am a huge Elvis fan and today is a sad day. On this day in 1977 Elvis passed away at Baptist Memorial Hospital in Memphis TN. I was 10 years old and I was on vacation in Kentucky with my folks visting my great grandmother and all my dad's family. I remember my dad telling me about it while we were out with my great uncle on his tractor checking his tobacco fields. They had just heard it on the radio and with no 24 cable news coverage it wasnt all over the tv like Michael Jackson. I wasnt too upset at the time because I wasnt really old enough to understand what Elvis meant to the music world and to people everywhere. My joy of Elvis really took hold as a teenager when I discovered the album "Elvis- The Top Ten Hits". I wore that cassette tape out and I still have it but they are all on my Ipod now.
here is my favorite Elvis song.

1 comment:

Booksteve said...

My friend's mom offered he and I tickets to see Elvis on his final tour when he came through Cincinnati and we turned 'em down! We were more into KISS at that point and were stupid enough to turn her down! AAARRGGHH! Even at his worst (and that was about it) he was still Elvis and it woulda been nice to have seen him!

George Clooney's dad was the local anchorman at the time Elvis died and the 5:30 news was delayed. They had a "HOGAN'S HEROES. TONIGHT AT 7 PM" card onscreen til almost 5:35. Then Nick Clooney appeared and solemnly announced, "Elvis Presley is dead." I asked him about the delay years later and he said he was doing everything he could to disprove the report bfore going on the air live to read it. It turned out to be true so...