Thursday, December 3, 2009

Top of the Pops!

This week we celebrate the 75th Birthday of soul legend Billy Paul and his biggest chart hit.
We go to December 16th 1972 for our Top 5.

#5 - It Never Rains in Southern California - Albert Hammond
Peaking this week at #5 with his biggest hit


#4 - You Ought to be With Me - Al Green
This would peak a week later at #3 and had been on top of the RB singles chart this week.


#3 - If You Don't Know Me By Now - Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes
This was the first song in the Top 5 by the songwriting team of Gamble & Huff and the first hit for the Teddy Pendergrass led Bluenotes.


#2 - I Am Woman - Helen Reddy
This first of 3 #1 singles for Helen Reddy, this song spent the previous week at the top spot and helped Helen Reddy win a Grammy for Best Female Performance in 1972.


#1 - Me and Mrs. Jones - Billy Paul
The other song by Gamble & Huff in this weeks Top 5 and their first #1 song, this spent the last 3 weeks of 1972 on top and made Billy Paul a household name.

1 comment:

Booksteve said...

Another great music post! It's well established that I have a spooky memory and can often recall in great detail things I haven't seen or heard about for 30-40 years. That said, even thogh I consider myself a fan of the right Reverend Al Green, I have NEVER heard or heard of this particular song (or more likely I have somehow erased all memory of it!). Wish I could erase memory of that outfit he's got on. ;)