Saturday, October 1, 2011

Top of the Pops - Album Edition

Today our TOTPs looks at the top 5 albums for this week in 1994.  This top 5 had a group that was having almost unprecedented success on the singles chart, a 1960s icon with an all blues album and one of the biggest selling soundtracks of all time.

Lets get this party started!!!

#5 - Dookie - Green Day
After peaking at #2 this album is on its way down but is the best selling album for the punk band from California.
They have sold over 15 million copies of this album as of 2011.




#4 - The Lion King - Soundtrack
This album debuted July 13th 1994 and spent the rest of July, all of August and 2 weeks in September at #1. It would return to the top in 1995 for one more week at the end of April and first week in May.  This is the 3rd biggest movie soundtrack of all time behind "The Bodyguard" and "Titanic".   This album would win an Oscar and Golden Globe for the single "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" written and performed by legend Elton John.




#3 - Rhythm of Love - Anita Baker
Down from its peak of #2.














#2 - II - Boyz II Men
After debuting at #1 2 weeks ago it drops to #2 but this album would be the 3rd biggest selling album of 1995 and produce 2 #1 singles that managed to spend a total of 16 consecutive weeks at the top from August to December of 1994.  They replaced themselves at #1 as "I'll Make Love to You" was moved out of #1 after 14 weeks for "On Bended Knee" which logged 2 weeks at the top.  The were only the 3rd act to accomplish this feat after Elvis and The Beatles and the first since 1964.





#1 - From the Cradle - Eric Clapton


The 5th #1 album for the guitar god from the UK.  This was the follow up to the hugely successful "Unplugged" LP which spent 3 weeks at the top.  This all blues album would top the chart for 1 week and produce one top 20 hit "I'm Tore Down" which reached #5.

1 comment:

Booksteve said...

I guess, for me, music in general had jumped the shark by 1990. These albums seem utterly foreign to me and I certainly wouldn't have purchased any. I probably couldn't name you ten hit songs I liked from the nineties or picked out many more than that even if you showed me a list of hits.

It couldn't be just that the style changed because I have very eclectic tastes in the types of music I like and have always embraced new styles (Disco not so much but...). In recent years when I let friend Brittany Rose reprogram my car stereo (when it still worked) I've discovered quite a bit of music from the 2000's that I like but the nineties still elude me.

Give me the sixties or seventies or the renaissance of the early eighties and I know it and love it. I don't care if it is Eric and Elton, what you've played here is alien to me.