Friday, November 30, 2018

I Love Fawlty Towers

I discovered Fawlty Towers, the tremendous British sitcom from the late 70s/early 80s quite by accident.  I was in the hospital for hip surgery between my junior and senior years of high school and that time (1984) the hospital I was in had 2 people per room and one tv.  Now we didnt have the extra money to pay for the tv so my roommate did and we watched what he wanted too and one Saturday evening he had on the local PBS station and "Fawlty Towers" was on and he left it.  Now I had no idea who any of these people were, I was 16 and had rarely watched PBS and wasnt sure who John Cleese was let alone the rest of the tremendous cast but I watched with my mom who was with me that evening.   By the time the show was over I was in tears, as was mom, at what we were watching and my roommate was also in fits of laughter, and I asked what the heck was this show and he told me it was a classic british comedy with Monty Python's John Cleese.  Well I was hooked and the interaction between Basil and his spanish speaking bell boy/waiter/whipping boy Manuel was just the funniest thing I had seen in a long time.   So when I got the chance to watch the show with my friends we were all in hysterics and now 34 years later YouTube brings the joy back and happily my daughters (22 and 25) love it just as much as I do.   I normally don't write much about any post or my personal thoughts since I just like to let things stand on their own merits but I wanted to express my joy and watching all these all over again. 

No comments: