Sunday, April 4, 2010

What I am Reading


I have been reading the recent release "When The Game Was Ours" by Earvin Magic Johnson and Larry Bird with Jackie McMullen. So far its been a great read of my early teen years watching basketball with my dad.
The memories and insight these two legends is just great reading and the names that come out of the past have made me smile to remember them.
It of course starts with the 1979 NCAA season and the most watched Ncaa National championship game ever and then goes into the 1980 NBA Finals where the rookie Magic steps in for the legendary captain of the Lakers Kareem Abdul-Jabbar who was nursing a badly sprained ankle. Game 6 of the Finals shows us the bright future of Magic but also a glimpse of what made Dr J, Julius Erving a legend. He kept the 76ers from getting run out of the building with some of the sweetest moves ever seen.




I can vividly remember my dad watching this game (it was on tape delay on a friday if I remember right) and I had fallen asleep and my dad woke me up to tell me I was missing one of the greatest performances ever in Magic Johnson's game that night.

No comments: