Friday, May 22, 2009

Sherlock Holmes

I just saw the trailer for the new Robert Downey movie "Sherlock Holmes". It does look exciting and action packed, not exactly the Sherlock Holmes I grew to love thru the movies of Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce. It may be better than hoped and RD jr is in the midst of another comeback so Iwill reserve full judgement until I see it.
In this new version one of the villians is played by Robert Maillet who is better know to most people as Kurgan from his days in the WWF. He was in the Truth Commission and then a fan favorite as a member of the Oddities. You will briefly see him twice in this trailer.
http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/sherlock-holmes/trailer

I first discovered the Rathbone/Bruce movies on WISH TV 8 when I was about 12 or 13 on a Sunday night in the summer. I could stay up late (which I loved to do) and watch tv, I happened to be watching Channel 8 news and after it was over I watched a show called "When Movies Were Movies" hosted by Dave Smith. Well the movie that night was "Sherlock Holmes and The Woman in Green" and I was hooked. I watched every chance I could and they were showing them all that month. Here are the opening minutes of that movie.
Its amazing with all the channels out there that no one shows these much anymore and introduce the kids of today to such great movies.

No comments: